Understanding Your Rights to Government Benefits in Hawaii

Are you a resident of Hawaii? Learn about your rights to government benefits such as TANF, SSI, General Assistance and SNAP.

Understanding Your Rights to Government Benefits in Hawaii

Are you a resident of Hawaii? If so, you may be eligible to receive government benefits that are consistent with your beliefs and values. To find out more, call 1-888-764-7586 for assistance. The Temporary Assistance Program for Needy Families (TANF) provides financial help to families with dependent children, the elderly, and those who are blind or disabled. To be eligible for this program, you must first apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) at a Social Security office.

If you already receive SSI and need additional financial assistance, you can apply for help from the Department of Human Services. If you are not eligible for any of the above programs, you may still qualify for General Assistance if you are an adult with no minor dependents, are between 18 and 65 years of age, and are unable to work due to a disability. You will need to submit a medical report in order to be considered. You may also be eligible for SNAP benefits; all you need to do is complete an application. When you apply for financial aid and SNAP benefits, you will be interviewed once. If you receive SSI benefits or financial assistance, you may be eligible for free no-fault insurance; check with the eligible worker to find out more.

The amount of money or benefits that you receive will depend on the size of your family, the rent and utilities that you pay, the amount of money that you earn, and the amount of other income and assets that you have. If you receive more money or benefits from SNAP than what you are entitled to receive, then you must return the additional money or SNAP benefits to the Department. You may also be asked to work with quality control reviewers at the Local Office, State Office, or Federal Office who randomly select families to redetermine if they qualify for SNAP benefits. Some beneficiaries must submit a monthly eligibility report (MERF) form even when there are no changes. It is important to remember that if you lie, hide facts, or don't report changes within 10 days, then you may be prosecuted. You must report all changes in your situation. Finally, any condition, restriction or prohibition that directly or indirectly limits the use or occupation of real estate for protection reasons is void, except for the limitation on grounds of religion to the use of real estate held by a religious institution and used for religious or charitable purposes.

Title IX exempts from coverage any educational operation of an entity that is controlled by a religious organization only to the extent that Title IX is inconsistent with the organization's religious principles.